Tuesday, May 26, 2009

School's out for Summer!!

My kids had a picnic out front on the last day of school.
Chandler and Addie on their way home from the bus stop. (Last day)



Here's Brinley and I meeting the kids at the bus...we didn't quite make it on the last day.

Addie and Sydnee on the 1st day of 1st grade. August 2008


Here's my crazy growing little ones...on the 1st day of school Aug. 2008




Friday was Chandler and Addie's last day of school! I can't believe I now have a 4th grader and a 2nd grader. This past school year has been different for us all. Addie transistioned from half day kindergarten to all day 1st grade. Chandler was challenged in different areas than he had been in the past.

For Addie this year has been really hard for her not academically but emotionally. She had a very different teacher than what she's been used to. Her teacher this year is an older one, she will be retiring after next school year. She is also very strict and has a very "prickly" type personality. Because of this, Addie would cry and cry that she did not want to school. It confused me at first because she always told me she had a great day and learned a lot, but finally after MONTHS of dealing with her hysterics I came to the conclusion that it must be her teacher. Her teacher was GREAT at challenging her, which she needed, but I also think she expected A LOT from Addie. In return, I think it caused some anxiety on Addie's part that she was going to get yelled at, or in trouble, or whatever. So...I am VERY glad that this year is over. I am also happy to report that her teacher for 2nd grade will be a very nice change. She has the same 2nd grade teacher Chandler had. I am hoping that school will not be as emotional for Addie in the fall....I guess we'll see come mid August when school starts up again. :)

Chandler, I think, had a great year. His teacher was a little different too. My big thing with her was that I don't think she knows how to speak to adults. When I would conference with her I kept feeling like she was talking to me like one of her students. I wasn't sure if it was just me (since I am only as tall as most 3rd graders....) or if it was just her! She was nice enough and Chandler seemed to really like her, but by no means did I think she was fantastic like some of the other teacher's they've had at Pioneer Ridge. Chandler was able to participate in the science fair this year. His class voted his project to the finals, but it did not make the final cut. I would try to explain his project...but unfortunately it was too smart for me! I handed that homework project off on Derek.....I did help with the final touches on gluing things on his project board ( my scrapbooking stuff came in real handy).....but that is about it.

I am glad that summer is finally here. Our pool is finally open. However the high for today is like 62 or something....so it's too cold for me to hang out in swimwear at our pool just yet. (Ideally I'd like to drop 20 lbs but......) So, my job is now to find things to help entertain my crazy children. Today we went to the library and signed up for the summer reading program. Addie is participating in a basketball camp this week for a couple of hours a day. Now, my biggest problem is limiting the amount of computer & video games from Chandler. So....I make him ride his bike around the block 10 times every so often to just make me feel better that he's not wasting away playing Star Wars or racing games! I've also printed off some math drills for them both to do. Technically today is only day 1 of summer vacation....so here's to keeping them happy, healthy, entertained and alive! (just kidding about the last one:)

5 comments:

  1. School is out already? We still have a week and a half. With half days of school the kids complain that they're bored so I'm really not looking forward to entire days of entertaining. Wish we were there to share in your pool days! Our inflatable pool just isn't as cool as a real pool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! My word verification was 'goblerg'. I had to take a double take to spell it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exciting! We hope you guys have an awesome summer! It's fun to get to hear things your kids say (especially Brinley) because they always seem to be so shy when we come around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures. It always put me back to when I was a young mother. I think I have the cutest and most handsome grandchildren ever!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer can be fun - and then difficult. Thank you - from a very grateful Papa. I love all your pictures - but hopefully we can see you all in person soon. Your "bicycle" efforts remind me so much of getting Derek to take a break from - oh yeah - a lot of the same things.

    ReplyDelete