Saturday, June 20, 2009

Johnstown Days

Here fishy, fishy....
Here's the little guy....


Got it!!

She's trying soooo hard.....come on Papa...where are you????





On the first Saturday in June our family gets woke up around 4:30 AM by our local fire department. They come around the neighborhood and up and down every street with their sirens on. It is their signal to meet at the fire station for a pancake breakfast. This is the official start to "Johnstown Days." The day is followed by many events one of which is the fishing derby (pictures of kids above). The local businesses set up booths at Parish park and have bounce houses, a 5k run and of course a parade. We would have had more pictures of the day, however our camera had a mishap this year at the fishing derby. Our family has yet to make it to the pancake breakfast nor will we ever. The idea of getting up super early, standing in lines, eating pancakes with lots of people who may or may not have washed their hands...people touching all of our food (I dunno...I guess I am easily grossed out) and the 6 bucks a plate seems to keep us from making it over there.
Chandler and Addie were very excited to participate in the fishing derby this year. Brinley and I decided to stay home -plus she was still sleeping. Addie especially was excited. She kept saying to me maybe today will be my day to catch my very first fish. Unfortunately it didn't happen for her. (Papa...I think this is your chance to help her get her first one!!) Chandler caught 4 fish and in addition to that, cast our camera out into the Johnstown Reservoir. Derek luckily was able to recover it, however it will never work again. It was a great camera...sniff.....
The kids enjoyed fishing and the parade. We laughed at all of the silly floats and people who made it into the parade this year. The best were the senior citizens who rode the similar style Vespa scooters (but they were old, classic versions) who rode up and down the streets. I loved all of the older ladies "pull on jeans." I told Derek when we get old that is what we'll have to do. Buy us a scooter, some pull on jeans and ride in the Johnstown Days parade. He just looked at me and said, "Wow, you have some high ambitions for our golden years."
(PS: I finally posted pictures of the kids on the last day of school on a previous post called "School's out for Summer!)

1 comment: